Pages

Friday, May 11, 2012

Classes are Done!

I just finished submitting grades for the college classes I teach.  Now I have some breathing room to finish preparing for the trip.  I still work a regular job so my time is not unlimited.  However, it will probably feel unlimited at least for a while. 

My goal is to be in the water on Saturday May 26th.  I have about five weeks off from work.  Yeah, I know this will be really pushing it.  Maybe I can finish the entire trail in the time I have and maybe not.    If not, I should be able to take off another week or maybe two toward the end of summer.  This is all the time that I could reasonably take off from work without negatively effecting my projects.

My experience with solo canoe and kayak trips is that I really enjoy being out paddling during the day, and get really bored at night while camping alone.  I think for this reason, I will probably be more inclined to travel longer during the day.  While on the AT, I had a routine of being up and out very early.  This was the "magic hour" when it was quite and many animals were out.  I like being out early especially (and maybe only) when it is clear.  It's a little harder getting out when it's raining knowing you are going to be wet and cold all day.

My new comfy kayak seat is supposed to arrive today.  We will see if it really is as comfortable as it is advertised.  I bought the "Mity Mite" portage wheels a few days ago.  I think I can install some fittings behind the cockpit to fasten them when on the water.  I should be ready for a few "wet runs" soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment