Pages

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The Strategery

I have limited time off from work to do this trip, and I also really enjoy a good challenge.  So my plan is to try to finish the entire trail in about 5 weeks.  Yeah, I know, this is going to be exceptionally difficult.  I would have to maintain about 22 miles per day in order to meet this goal.  I don't know if I can do this.

In the summer, I can comfortably kayak 15 to 17 miles in Lake Erie without being especially tired.  Also, depending on conditions, I can canoe about 15 to 18 miles in the Boundary Waters with 7 to 8 portages, and be very tired.  However, in the Boundary Waters, I'm usually portaging either a 55 or 75 pound canoe, and need to make two trips on the portage trail to get all of my gear.  I'm bringing a lot less gear on this trip.

One of my biggest concerns right now is my portaging system.  I have the Mity Mite portage wheels.  They seem like they are small enough to bungee to the back of my kayak.  However, they also easily become skewed if one of the wheels hits a rock or rut.  This causes my kayak to veer off the portage trail.  I have a Duluth Pack to carry my gear during the portages.  I think this might make it easier to manage the kayak through the inevitable downed trees, bogs, and rocks.  Maybe there is simply no good way to portage a kayak.  I don't know.  Sometimes you just need to endure.

My other main concern is blisters on my hands.  I never get blisters paddling a canoe because my hands stay mostly dry.  However, water always drips down the kayak paddle onto your hands so my hands will almost always be wet.  I have drip guards on my paddle, but I doubt this will be enough.  I have a few pairs of gloves to try.  I'm not sure what is going to work or not work.

Finally, I've been working out very hard at the gym for about an hour and a half each night.  While there is no substitute for being out on the kayak, I'm hoping that I can build up enough strength to minimize the soreness during the first week or so.

As I mentioned before, I really enjoying being out by myself during the day when kayaking, but I become lonely and bored at night.  I'm planning on being up early, and paddling as late as I reasonably can.  Being alone for 5 weeks is going to be a challenge.  Unlike the AT, I doubt that I will be camping with people or meeting a lot of people along the way.  The AT was a very social place.  Nearly everyone camped at shelters, and that is where you would meet new people to hike with the following day.  I'm not expecting the same socal atmosphere on the NFCT.

2 comments:

  1. This 2009 SOBO will be right behind you... starting at the end of May.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool. What day are you starting?

    ReplyDelete