Pages

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Comfy Seat

My new comfy seat is actually quite comfortable!  I just finished installing it this afternoon.  I also replaced the buckles on the hatches, and installed a few new loops to bungee the wheels and Duluth back behind the cockpit.  I started to put the Ohio registration letters on, but I ran out of fours.  I need six of them.  I should have done that over 10 years ago, but I hate having to go through the registration process with the Ohio Department of Natural Resources.  The only reason I'm doing that now is because their funding has been cut, and they are out ticketing as many violations as they can.  It's getting harder and harder to hide from them.

I did an experiment with my new Mity Mite portage wheels.  I still have the same problem of figuring out how to secure the wheels in such a way that they don't become skewed if one wheel hits a rock or rut.  I'm thinking of installing a couple more loops so that I can use to attach bungees to the wheels.  I'm hoping that the bungees will help pull the wheels back straight again after they become skewed.  I think I'm going to have something like 50 miles of portaging so I want to get this right as soon as I can.

During last year's recon trip, I thought that a Duluth pack to carry most of my gear would lighten the kayak so that I would have fewer problems pulling it through bogs and through downed trees.  My plan is to pack my gear in small dry bags that I can take out during each portage.  I'm sure I will refine the process as the trip progresses.

1 comment:

  1. Looks great-did you have a chance to do another test run if you should tip? I think you said you were going to do another New Year's plunge at 50 degrees.

    ReplyDelete