Pages

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Age

Does 48 years officially make me a geezer?  To many teenagers that is unimaginably old.  The official definition of a geezer is an eccentric old man.  I think that most who know me would agree with the eccentric part of the definition so at least I'm on the right path.  However, the 48 years have yet to significantly affect my health or mind so maybe I'm not officially a geezer yet.  Well, my hair is definitely grayer, but that is more from wisdom rather than age.  Our founding fathers had to wear gray wigs so that others would think they were wise.  Not me!

I tend to enjoy being out in the wilderness.  I've been camping since a child, backpacking since college, and doing wilderness canoe trips since my late 20s.  I was 44 years old when I did my thru hike of the AT.  I have long legs and I'm usually good about getting an early start.  Both traits allowed me to finish the trail in a relatively fast time of 4 months and 1 week.  I was also very good about monitoring the little injuries.  I saw a lot of 20 year olds on the trail who attempted to power their way through the little aches and pains only to have to get off the trail either temporarily or permanently.  Maybe my age makes me more aware of how fragile our bodies really are, and that made me more careful with injuries. 

I tore some ligiments in my left arm on September 30th of last year.  I was worried if there would be enough time for my arm to heal before this trip.  My arm is almost entirely back to normal.  I was wondering if this is another sign of aging.  However, I've always been very physically active, and have had other similar injuries over the years.  About 15 years ago, I had a similar injury with my left hand.  I kept re-injuring it by canoeing, kayaking, and splitting firewood.  I had to stop using that hand for about three months before it finally healed, and I've never had a problem with it again.  I'm hoping I gave my left arm enough time to completely heal too.  I suppose I will find out soon enough one way or the other.

I know that I'm going to have to be very careful on the NFCT.  Doing anything for weeks at a time can cause repetitive injuries.  While I have a goal for a mileage I would like to accomplish on average each day, I also know that I have to be flexible and go with what feels right.  I'm trying to manage both the NFCT and what I hope to be continued employment.  Both are important!

As for being a geezer, I think I will rather enjoy being a geezer when my time finally comes.  I think that geezers are allowed to break social norms with little repercussions.  Just think of how much fun that will be!

1 comment:

  1. I can tell you, Joe, as an "official" geezer (age 56), it's not really that bad. I've done more physical stuff in the last two years then I ever did before, with minimal effects. I have plans in the next year for a few more expeditions into the unknown-I find the mental part to be harder than the physical....just enjoy! The future will take care of itself!

    ReplyDelete