Pages

Monday, April 30, 2012

To DO List April 30th

  • Figure out how to get into and out of Canada.  I sent the NFCT store an email today, and was told that those maps are on the way.  I understand that there is a road that follows the NFCT into and out of Canada, and there are boarder crossing stations at both locations.  I will know if this is true when I get the maps on Wednesday.
  • Install a few new fittings on my kayak so that I can strap gear onto the deck behind the cockpit.  This should only take a few minutes.  I also just order a new seat.  I was told that it should only take a few minutes to install.
  • Find a locator beacon.  I think I might go with Spot, but still need to look at my options again before I feel comfortable with this.
  • Buy a mini laptop that I can use to access the Internet and post updates on my blog. I don't expect much Verizon cell phone coverage except in towns.  It would be cheaper to keep my company paid dumb phone and just get a mini laptop for Internet access.  I can use the laptop after the trail, but have no use for a smart phone.  Whether I go with this option will depend on what I find tonight.
  • Buy a new kayak cart.  Chris (blog member) and I have been discussing options.  I agree that my C-Tug kayak cart is probably not a good option because it is all plastic, and there are about 50 miles of portages.  Chris recommended the Paddle Boy MityMite, which seems like a good option.  I need something I can strap to the deck of my kayak behind the cockpit.
  • Complete a "wet" run with gear before putting in.
  • Yeah, I have a few other things to do, but nothing too time consuming.  Mostly, I need to go through my checklist to make sure I have everything, and then to buy those items I do not have.  This is stuff I can get at Gander Mountain or at an outfitter in Old Forge, NY.
Hey, I'm making some progress!

5 comments:

  1. I have a feeling once you get started, all of the preparations you did will pay off and you will forget all the hassles and just enjoy the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope all goes well. I am going to Jacksonville florida to pick up my Mad river solo to take on the trip next year. I wanted to go this year but can't take off work for that long. Next year is a go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I considered buying a mini laptop too, but didn't want to bring extra gear. There are libraries all along the way that have computers you can use.. The only problem is that they aren't always open. I stopped at libraries in Saranac Lake, Enosburg Falls, Richford, Newport, Groveton, Errol, Rangeley, and Jackman. There were also some accommodations that let me use their computers along the way too. Besides having to retype what I had written in a journal, I'm glad I hadn't bought the laptop. You also have to worry about keeping it charged, something that will most likely be a problem from Rockwood to Fort Kent. Just my two cents.

    The border crossing isn't too bad. There is a station and people at the bridge outside of Richford, but Newport is just a video phone. Be prepared to be hassled. They asked the dumbest questions--like the color of your canoe. It's by the marina. If you camp at the city campground (a trailer town), they SHOULD let you camp near the water and not in the established campsites. The tent sites are far away. We had a very unhelpful campground "host" practical kick us out of the trailer area after we set up on a weeknight after 7 pm. We learned the next day from the parks department head that NFCT thru-paddlers were supposed to be welcomed and have easier access vs. climbing the hill with all our gear.

    Have you purchased the guide book? I found it to be helpful in addition to the maps.

    Katina, 2011 Thru-Paddler

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://www.boundarywaterscatalog.com/browse.cfm/4,2049.html

    I've been trying to source this cart for a long time, I think it might be the best one for you. I't relatively light and small and from what others say it's very durable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chris and Katina,

    Thanks so much for writing. I've been meaning on thanking you both for the last week, but have really been busy trying to finish up some projects at work and get everything else ready. I have a guide book. I also think I might check out some of the portage wheels when I'm in Old Forge. I can always make a few last minute modifications to my kayak to better strap the wheels onto the back. Portages are always hard. I suppose at some point, you just need to endure them.

    Joe

    ReplyDelete