Pages

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Cell Phone Coverage on the NFCT

Does anyone know what I can expect with cell phone coverage?  There was virtually no cell phone coverage in Maine when I did the AT in 2008.  It looks like the NFCT parallels the AT in some places.  Being on the water will also likely mean that there will be few line of sight locations between me and cell phone towers.  I think that cell phone coverage in the Adirondacks was very spotty when I did my recon trip last May.  Is buying a smart phone specifically for the trip a waste of money?  I already have a dumb phone that I can use when in towns.  Maybe it's best to just buy a GPS satellite device that I can use to let everyone know I'm OK each night, and that can call out for help if needed.

1 comment:

  1. Cell coverage along the entire Northern Forest Canoe Trail is much better than in 2008 but can be spotty in remote areas including Maine's Allagash. Through paddlers seem to do less blog updating once they hit Maine which may be a combination of coverage issues and simply being a few weeks into their trip and not "feeling a demand" to be electronically connected. I'd go with a device that you feel most comfortable operating and provides the most peace of mind.

    ReplyDelete