Pages

Monday, April 23, 2012

To DO List

I have less than a month, and I still have a few things to do:

  • Figure out how to get into and out of Canada.  I can't find those maps, and just placed an order for them with the NFCT.  I understand the maps for those sections have instructions for boarder crossing.
  • Make a single bladed paddle.  I just finished my second kayak paddle last night.  I made that one because I could only buy sitka spruce in sizes that make 3 kayak paddles.  The single bladed paddle will be my backup.  I can fasten it to the deck, and will use it if I lose or break my double bladed paddle.  Because I will be sitting so close to the water, I was thinking the single bladed paddle should have a short shaft and wider blade.
  • Install a few new fittings on my kayak so that I can strap gear onto the deck behind the cockpit.
  • Make drip guards for my kayak paddles so that I can keep my hands dry when paddling.  I think that wet hands will lead to blisters, which is one of my biggest concerns.
  • Install a new seat in my kayak, and make new hatch covers. 
  • Find a locator beacon.  I'm going to do a search today on a few camping websites to see if I can find one that most people agree works well.  Because this is a solo trip and cell phone coverage will be very spotty (I know from my experience on the AT), I would feel most comfortable with a means to communicate with the outside world.
  • Buy a phone that I can use to access the Internet and post updates on my blog.
  • Buy a water proof kayak spray skirt. 
  • Buy a bug shirt.  I expect the bug to be most ferocious.
  • Buy the "portage boy" kayak wheels.  I think that with a bracket that fits over the kayak, this brand of portage wheels will likely be better than the ones I currently have.  Although, the ones I have can be strapped on and off a little easier so I am not entirely sure which to use.
Pre-trip planning is not something that I do well.  On the AT, my only logistical planning was to get myself onto the trail.  I made due as I went along on the trail.  It seems likely that I will be able to do the same on the NFCT.  It looks like there are plenty of towns along the way to stop for supplies.  I'm a really bad hitch hiker so I'm hoping that I can minimize my need to hitch hike for supplies.

7 comments:

  1. Locator beacon: look into the Delorme “inReach” and GPS, expensive but will do what you want.
    I’ve had good luck with a bug shirt coupled with a headnet.
    http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/40942?feat=bug%20shirt-SR0
    http://www.llbean.com/llb/search?init=1&freeText=head+net&gnattr=prc%3Aprc
    I have never gotten blisters but lots of folks I know swear by paddling gloves.
    Any smart phone can send info to the internet but you need to consider how you are going to charge it. Many folks keep a paper journal and then upload at libraries when they get the chance.
    Portage carts… These things take a beating and many have not made it the whole length of the trail. A lot of carts are fine if you plan on only going short distances, like from the parking lot to the put-in. Because you are going to be using yours to go for much longer distances you should be careful what you get.
    I wouldn’t get anything that has plastic axles and plastic bushings on the wheels, heat will build possible enough to melt plastic.
    Because you are kayaking you should look for something that will breakdown enough to fit into a hatch.
    Make sure the frame is strong, it will take a beating on some of the carries. Thicker gauge tubing is better. Good clearance between the wheels will help. You definitely want a center cart, I would not get one that only supports one end. You’ll get pretty good at loading the kayak onto the cart so that it’s almost perfectly balanced, that way you don’t do any lifting, only pulling. This lets the wheels do the work, you’ll appreciate this starting on day one when you do the carry from Inlet to 6th lake.
    The wheels are held on with some type of clip, tape a couple of spares to you’re the frame in case you loose one.
    This may be obvious but I would do a dry run of a portage before you leave on the trip just to make sure everything works.
    There are plenty of towns along the way where you can get supplies but once you leave the Adirondacks not many of them will have canoe and kayak stuff until you get to Rangeley, Me. Once you enter Moosehead Lake there are no stores until Fort Kent, although there is a diner in Allagash Village.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, thanks so much for the information. I'm agonizing now over my GPS choice. I've thought a lot about the paper journal and library options with a spot GPS only. This would be the cheapest option. I'll probably look at the cost of smart phones this weekend, and make a final decision then. The Delorme looks good too, but a little more expensive than the spot.

      I'm guessing that cell phone coverage for most of Maine if not most of the trail will be nonexistant so maybe the paper journal is a better option.

      I've done some dry runs with the C-Tug portage wheels I currently have. The advantage seems to be that it is a center cart with wide tires that might help in bogs. The disadvantage is the straps. If you hit a rock, the wheels become squewed and the cart heads off the trail. I've been trying to figure out a system to prevent this problem. I was looking at the paddle boy brand kayak wheels that has a bracket that fits over the kayak as an alternative. Do you have any experience with either option?

      I've also been thinking of making or buying a backup portage yoke just incase the wheels break. However, I can also make something if needed that will at least get me to the next town where I can order new wheels.

      Delete
  2. If anyone has been considering a DeLorme InReach, The Gps Store at 'thegpsstore.com' has it reduced from $250 to $220 plus a $50 rebate until April 30.

    I'd be careful of the C-Tug, plastic axles and plastic wheel bearings. I hate to suggest this but You should load it up and go for a 2 mile walk with it to make sure it's OK. when you finish check the axles and wheels for melting. Look at the reviews on amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks again, I did over a mile portage with the C-Tug with a few shorter portages in rough terrain. However, I'll look into other options. The plastic is not something I would expect to last. What do you know of "paddle boy" kayak wheels or any other brands?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have two carts, One is the All Terrain Cart
    http://www.seattlesportsco.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1087&idcategory=75
    You can rule this one out because it's way to big for a kayak, it won't fit in the hatches.

    The second one may be a PaddleBoy MityMite http://www.seattlesportsco.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1087&idcategory=75

    This one may work for you. I guess you'll need to see how you can pack it. I use two straps on my carts as they help keep the boat from slipping. It's also worth futsing around with some kind of rope or strap on the end of the kayak to make it easier to lift and pull while portaging. I suspect you'll figure out technique that works for you pretty soon into your trip.

    I used to have another cart but I lost it when I dumped in the Clyde River in VT. If you find it let me know. I'll pay for the return shipping.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chris,

    Do you have any experience with the Paddle Boy ATE (All Terrain End)? It looks like it is ruggedly built and I like the bracket that fits over the kayak. I'm thinking the bracket will help to keep the wheels from becoming skewed when you hit a rock. I'm also anticipating taking most of my gear out of the kayak during most portages. I'm expecting downed trees and boggy conditions on many of the portage trails. I'm also anticipating strapping the portage cart directly to the deck of my kayak behind the cockpit.

    Joe

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do own the ATE but I didn't recommend it because it's quite big and heavy, I thought it would be to big for a kayak. The large wheels and high center clearance are great features of this cart. I think it might be difficult to strap securely onto the deck of the kayak. It is by far the best rolling cart I've owned. Keep an eye on the bearings and you might want to bring a patch kit with the ATC.

    If you pile your gear in center of the cart you shouldn't have to carry anything on the wheelable portages.

    ReplyDelete