Pages

Friday, March 9, 2012

Time Alone

It's interesting that I have little concern for doing a 5 week + solo trip.  On the Appalachian Trail, there were always people to meet and talk to at the shelters.  I expect this will be an entirely different experience.  I do not expect to meet people in the same way as I did on the AT.  It looks like there are only a few thru paddlers each year on the NFCT, and there doesn't look like there will be common camping spots like the shelters of the AT.

I'm not sure what happened on the AT that changed my perspective, but I would not have ever considered a solo trip of this length before the AT.  I totally expect to be bored and sometimes lonely in the evenings.  This was my experience with my last solo trip to the Boundary Waters in northern Minnesota.  However, I was quite comfortable traveling alone during the day.  I actually found traveling alone to be a pleasant experience.  However, that was only a week long trip.  I'm not sure what it would be like to go weeks without talking much to anyone.

I'm likely going to use the alone time for travel.  The times on the AT where there were few people, I found were not a problem if I was tired and ready for sleep in the evening. 

2 comments:

  1. I find being alone can be an evening out experience...especially if you lead a busy life. A time for reflection and somewhat of a personal inventory. I don't go for that long-but I come back feeling mentally better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck on your trip. Looking forward to "following" you.

    ReplyDelete