Pages

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Personal Locator Beacons

With this being a solo trip, I'd like to take a reliable personal locator beacon (PLB).  A friend on the AT had one to communicate his location and to his parents every day.  I don't remember which one he was using.  He needed to leave it in a location with a clear view of the sky for a few minutes in order to send a signal.  The beacon had two options.  One sent the coordinates with a message that said everything was ok, and the other sent the coordinates with an emergency message.

It looks like these have become popular with boaters.  I've been reading through some of the reviews on Amazon.  It would be nice to be able to look at each and talk to a sales person about each one.  Does anyone have any experience with a PLB?

3 comments:

  1. I use a SPOT, like it and can give you my opinions if you like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always recommend the Personal Locator Beacon (PLB) by GME. While SPOT does have some good points, it's dependability depends on market growth. The PLB is endorsed, monitored and responded by world wide governments that interact with each other. I like the GME brand because it has a flashing beacon light when activated, not to mention a longer battery life. For me sending a message that I'm okay is like crying wolf too many times. You hear it enough and then you don't pagy attention to the messages anymore. I want my PLB to work when I need it. 406 with GPS signal for someone to find me works.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have found the SPOT to be very reliable but in an emergency it is probably not as reliable as the PLB.I've never used it for an emergency. I use mine for the tracking and OK function and the only time I've had any issue is when I am in thick woods on portages. On the water you have clear views of the sky almost all the time so there are no issues reaching a satellite. I have the original SPOT that floats, I think the newer ones sink.

    You can set up the SPOT to send the OK and HELP messages to chosen people, the 911 call goes to the authorities.

    If you want a device only for emergencies get a PLB and keep it on you. If you want something to send signals daily or track you in real time get the SPOT.

    ReplyDelete