Pages

Monday, May 20, 2013

Kayak Update

I was hoping to have the new kayak complete for a week long kayak trip to Cape Lookout National Seashore starting on June 1st.  That doesn't seem possible now.  I had some delays because of uncertainty in the construction process. 

The problem I encountered was that I took the hull off the form before starting the deck.  I thought that I would be able to build the deck to the shear line I drew on the forms.  I realized too late that I would never be able to accurately do this.  So I put the hull back onto the form to use it as a guide.  The hull fits loose on the form so accuracy is still a concern.  However, I think I can manage any inaccuracies. 

I have the hull built and fiberglassed.  Its weight is low enough that a 41 pound total completed weight is very possible.  I can easily portage 41 pounds.

The first one of anything is always the hardest.  Now that I better understand the process, I will build another kayak as soon as I finish this one.  The next one should go much faster.  I would also like to build a light weight small kayak for doing day trips on Lake Erie.

No comments:

Post a Comment