Pages

Monday, June 4, 2012

Days 7 & 8 - Journey Home and Back Again

Since I have no car, I decided to take a bus home to get my truck instead of waiting until next weekend when Anne can pick me up.  The lady at the motel was nice enough to let me keep my kayak at her motel for the weekend.

The bus ride was a fun and crazy experience.  You always meet interesting people on the bus.  One of the tricks of bus riding is to always look at who is sitting behind you.  I forgot this basic fact when selecting a seat from Albany.  I sat in front of a young woman with her three year old son because the seat next to me was open.  To her credit, she tried to control her son.  One of the techniques she used was to threaten to have to police put her son in jail when ever he did not listen.  She would pick up her cell phone, and pretend to talk to the police.  She would descibe her son's behavior, and tell the police to come and get him.  This was actually kind of effective especially when coupled with a few smacks.

She got off in Rochester, NY.  A schizophrenic man took the seat behind me around this time.  I heard him talking to the woman he was sitting next too.  He was living in Boston, I think.  He said he lost everything and was eating out of a garbage can.  He also said he was 58 years old and never married.  He was going back to live in his home state of Indiana.  The woman next to him moved or got off the bus, but he remained talking.  Actually, it was mostly muttering.  He was mutter something about "scumbags" and would often break into laughter.  At one point, he caughed on me, and I had to yell at hm to cover his mouth.  He was very appologetic about that incident.

I arrived back in Cleveland around 3:30 AM on Saturday morning.  My sister picked me up from the bus station, and took me home.  Speaking of bus stations, the one in Cleveland was awful.  It was very dirty.  After seeing the restroom, I decided it was best not to get anything to eat there.

I slept a few hours, woke, and was back on the road by about 9:15 AM.  I had to go back and pick up my kayak and gear in Saranac Lake.  That trip was mostly uneventful.  I was listening to "Journey to the Center of the Earth".  I need to look up when that book was writen.  It was fun listening to the description of geology.  I'm going to guess that based on the description of the geologic time periods and fossils, the book was written around the middle of the 1800s.

After that book ended, I started to listen to Jack Karroac's "On the Road".  It was interesting to hear about life in the late 1940s.

I finally got home the second time around 2:00 AM after nearly driving 1,000 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment